to preserve, protect and promote the history of
Switzerland County, Indiana
Switzerland County Historical Society
PO Box 201
Vevay, In. 47043
copyright 2011 Switzerland County Historical Society
Benefits of membership include:
Yearbook & Newsletters
Gift Shop Discount
Volunteer Opportunities & More
April - October 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
November - March 12:00 - 4:00 pm
The Switzerland County Historical Society, organized in 1925, is one of the oldest of Indiana’s county historical societies. Originally led by the exceptional historian Effa Danner and later by notable Swiss family descendants Julia LeClerc Knox, Doris Dupraz and local historian Hazel Danglade, the society collected with a vision for the future by preserving a wide range of artifacts and documents that relay the county’s unique past. The historical society owns and operates two museums and is developing a third site.
The Switzerland County Historical Museum has been located in the former Presbyterian Church since 1970. Built in 1860, the building was donated to the society and underwent a major renovation in 2006. A stipulation in the donation is that the upstairs sanctuary with all its original furnishings and beautiful stained glass windows remain unaltered. The society keeps the sanctuary open to the public and it is much appreciated by museum visitors. The museum is located at 210 E. Market Street, Vevay, Indiana.
The “Life on the Ohio” River History Museum, formerly the parsonage for the church, is located at 208 E Market in Vevay. After the donation of the church, the parsonage was later aquired by the society and opened as our second museum in 2004.
This museum features a rare and diverse collection depicting life and work along the Ohio River, from the earliest flatboats to the rise and fall of the steam packets and towboats.
Our third property is currently under development as an Agriculture Museum Center, with a hay press barn as the focal attraction. Originally the Thiebaud farmstead settled by Swiss immigrants in 1817, the project encompasses an 1850s Greek Revival house, smokehouse, granary, gardens, an interpretive center and museum, as well as nature trails throughout the 165 acre property.
As restorations and development are ongoing at this site, it is not currently open to the public.
Revolutionary Soldiers and the Wives of Soldiers with Ties to
Switzerland County Indiana
This new work by Marlene Jan McDerment brings into one volume the various records pertaining to the Revolutionary War soldiers and widows of soldiers who have ties to Switzerland County, Indiana.
Several dozen sources were examined including land records of the Northwest Territory, State of Ohio, Indiana Territory, and Switzerland County, Indiana, as some of these individuals settled (squatted) in the current Switzerland County area when it was still a part of the Northwest Territory. Citation of each source is identified and though not the focus of the work any genealogical information found in the source material has been included.